Welfare Team

The Welfare Team is here to help you with any financial concern. Contact us to see if we can help you claim additional income – such as help with council tax costs, children’s school lunches or pension credit.

Contact us on 0300 111 2122 / post@grwpcynefin.org

Contact us


Money Helper

Managing your money in uncertain times

The pandemic and the rising cost of living have left lots of people with new money worries.

Whether you’ve been caught off guard by higher bills and payments, uncertain income or the loss of a job, ‘Money Helper’ can help you find your way forward and take the first step towards getting on top of things.




You could get £150 off your electricity bill for winter 2022 to 2023 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

The money is not paid to you – it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October 2022 and March 2023.

You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity and you’re eligible. Contact your supplier to find out.

More information here.

If you were born on or before 25th September 1956, you could get between £250 and £600 to help pay your heating bills.

The amount you receive will also include a Pensioner Cost of Living Payment, which is between £150 and £300. This is in addition to any Cost of Living Payment you get.

You will get the Winter Fuel Payment automatically (you don’t need to claim) if you’re eligible and receive either the State Pension or get another social security benefit.

More information here.

If you’re on a qualifying benefit between 1st September 2022 and 31st January 2023 you can get £200 towards
paying your fuel bills this winter.

This is in addition to the winter fuel payment offered by the UK Government, but you need to apply for it.

More information here.

All households in the UK will receive a one-off payment of £400 to help cover the cost of energy bills.

Direct debit and credit customers will see the money credited to their account, and those on a pre-payment meter will have the money applied to their meter or paid via a voucher.

If you haven’t yet claimed your voucher – it is important you do! Contact your supplier who will tell you where to redeem them, for example at a Post Office branch or a PayPoint shop.

More information here.

More advice on how to save water and also the help available to you, on the Welsh Water website here


You may be able to get a payment to help with the cost of living if you’re getting certain benefits or tax credits.

You may get a payment of £650 paid in 2 lump sums of £326 and £324 if you get payments of any of the following:

  • Universal Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

More information here

The Discretionary Assistance Fund provides 2 types of grant that you do not need to pay back.

Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP)

A grant to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel.

Individual Assistance Payment (IAP)

A grant to help you or someone you care for live independently in their home or a property that you or they are moving into.

More information here

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits.

They’re delivered in the same way as normal packages, just at a lower price.

  • Current prices range from £10 to £20
  • You will pay almost nothing in installation costs
  • It costs nothing to leave the tariff

For more information about the cheaper packages and how to apply for one – visit the Ofcom website.

Grŵp Cynefin has two grants that support our tenants, customers and communities.

Community Grant 

This is a grant scheme up to £500 available for groups working within Grŵp Cynefin’s operational area (six counties of north Wales and north Powys).

The grant is available to voluntary and community groups or to a group of residents who would like to make a difference within their community.

More information here.

Steps to Employment Grant

The Steps to Employment grant is available to support Grŵp Cynefin tenants and service users to overcome barriers related to education, training and employment.

More information here

Free School Breakfast

Your child or children may be entitled to receive free breakfast, if the school provides this. To find out if your school offers free breakfast and if your child is eligible, speak to the school directly.

Find out more here.

Free school meals

Free school meals are available to eligible pupils who attend school full-time in Wales. To find out if your child or children are entitled to a free school meal, contact your local authority.

More information here

Support with childcare costs

The Childcare Offer for Wales provides up to 30 hours of free early education and childcare for eligible working parents of three and four-year-olds for 48 weeks of the year.

Find out more here

School Essentials Grant

Children whose families are on lower incomes and qualify for certain benefits can apply for a grant of:

  • £125 per learner
  • £200 for learners entering year 7 (to help with increased costs associated with starting secondary school)

More information here


Cookie Settings