Llys Awelon in Ruthin, Denbighshire is an extra care housing scheme established in 2011 by Grŵp Cynefin, in partnership with Denbighshire County Council. The scheme provides home, support and care services for people over 60.
Llys Awelon is being completely redeveloped to create a modern, low-carbon, purpose-built scheme to meet the needs of older people in the Denbighshire area. An additional 35 flats will be added to the existing 21.
As part of the social value clause which incorporates community benefits, Grŵp Cynefin and Read Construction, project developers, are funding a community art project.
We are looking for an artist of any discipline to create a piece of work for the new building between June-November 2024, who meets the following criteria:
• Artist must be local (north Wales area) or have a strong connection to Ruthin
• Artist must be Welsh speaking to provide bilingual engagement sessions
• Suggested themes for art piece are home and community, heritage, or nature
• Intergenerational – including minimum of five sessions with Llys Awelon residents and pupils from Ysgol Pen Barras primary school
• All types of art will be considered but it needs to be suitable to be exhibited inside or outside the final building
• An environmental and sustainable element is encouraged
We also welcome joint applications from more than one artist.
The budget for the project is £6000 including VAT to include artist’s costs, engagement sessions, materials, travel costs and the final piece including its installation.